check if running under IDLE

Helmut Jarausch jarausch at
Wed Aug 6 11:48:02 CEST 2003

Peter Abel wrote:
> Helmut Jarausch <jarausch at> wrote in message news:<3f2ec16b$0$285$ba620e4c at>...
>>I'd like to check a script which needs sys.argv
>>I haven't seen a method to set this when running the script
>>in IDLE's shell or editor window.
>>The only way I've found is to assign (test values)
>>to sys.argv but only if the script is running under IDLE
>>Is there a mean either to set sys.argv without modifying
>>the script or to check if the script is running under IDLE's
>>Thanks for a hint,
>>Helmut Jarausch
>>Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
>>RWTH - Aachen University
>>D 52056 Aachen, Germany
> I doen't think that your problem is to know if
> you're running under Idle or PythonWin or Pythonshell
> or ..
> I think your problem is to know if there are command line
> parameters passed to your script or not. And this is simply
> done by:
> if len(sys.argv) > 1:
>   do_something_with(sys.argv[1:])
> else:
>   do_something_else_with_explicit(['Para_1','Para_2', ... ,'Para_Last']
> Hope I'm not wrong.

I think so.

To check a script accessing sys.argv I have to set it.
Unfortunately the 'Run' pulldown menu of IDLE doesn't have an item
to set sys.argv as it's common with debuggers for C.

Now in Python I can set  sys.argv within the script,
but forgetting to comment this out afterwards makes the
script wrong outside of IDLE

So I'd like to say

but I haven't work how to check if the script is running under
IDLE's supervision.