Building extensions with mingw32 -- bdist_wininst fails.

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Wed Aug 6 08:53:40 EDT 2003

I'll be quick.  Here's a transcript:

C:\usr\WConio-1.5>python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building '_WConio' extension
writing build\temp.win32-2.3\Release\_WConio.def
C:\MINGW32\BIN\dllwrap.exe -mno-cygwin -mdll -static --output-lib
build\temp.win
32-2.3\Release\lib_WConio.a --def
build\temp.win32-2.3\Release\_WConio.def -s bu
ild\temp.win32-2.3\Release\wconiomodule.o -LC:\PYTHON\libs -LC:\PYTHON\PCBui
ld -
lpython23 -o build\lib.win32-2.3\_WConio.pyd

C:\usr\WConio-1.5>python setup.py bdist_wininst
running bdist_wininst
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
error: Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions need
be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't installed.

I checked the archives regarding that error message and found a conversation
wherein Jeremy Hylton claimed he might have added the code to detect this,
and Paul Moore asked to have it removed/disabled at least for mingw32 (which
makes binaries 100% compatible with MSVC6).  In the case given then, the
extension wouldn't build at all; now it builds but I can't make a Windows
installer from it.

mingw32 should be treated as 100% equivalent to MSVC6 in all cases...
please.  I've got people clamoring for two of my extensions (and I didn't
even think they were popular) but I can't build installers.

Is there any way I can get this to work?  If I have to I'll hack that check
out of Distutils with an axe, but still this should be fixed.

Chris Gonnerman -- chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
http://newcenturycomputers.net