Python preinstalled on Windows - looking for details

Skip Montanaro skip at
Fri Aug 22 16:42:31 CEST 2003

It appears that HP and perhaps some other computer manufacturers who deliver
Windows systems have begun delivering systems with Python pre-installed.
We've begun to get frequent questions about this at the webmaster at
email address.  I contacted HP about this, but have so far received no firm
details about why Python is installed or what applications on their boxes
use it.  It's not clear how to respond to people who ask, "What's this
Python thing?  Can I delete it?", other than to say, "No, you probably
shouldn't delete it.".

If you have any details about who in the Windows world preinstalls Python
and what they use it for, please let me know.  I'd like to add a question to
the Python FAQ, but would like some details.