Python's biggest compromises

Robin Becker robin at
Mon Aug 11 01:31:44 CEST 2003

In article <3f36c43a$0$49105$e4fe514c at>, Irmen de Jong
<irmen at> writes
>Robin Becker wrote:
>> I believe pyro can almost do that, but I haven't tried it.
>Could you please elaborate on this a bit?
>What exactly did you have in mind when talking about
>"migrating threads or tasklets" ?

Well I had in mind the grid concept, which I believe implies the
distribution of code to multiple nodes and then the ability to execute
on them (I suppose that includes re-sending data to already distributed

I imagine that a proper grid would allow reloading of modules as the
overall application requires, but that would be relatively trivial if we
could capture 'execution state'.

Moving a running thread to another process would be fairly hard I
imagine, but I guess that's what we want for load balancing etc.
>Does this involve transporting code across nodes,
>or only the 'execution' (and data)?
>Pyro supports transporting code, but with a few important limitations,
>such as "once loaded, not reloaded".
>--Irmen de Jong

Robin Becker