Is Python your only programming language?

Steve Lamb grey at
Wed Aug 13 20:38:06 CEST 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 05:44:45 GMT, Joe Cheng <code at> wrote:
> I want to ask you hard-core c.l.p Pythonistas: Do you use Python for
> everything?  (and I'm counting Python + C extensions as just Python)  Or do
> you keep another language equally close at hand, and if so, what is it?  And
> finally, do you foresee a day when Python can be, for all practical intents
> and purposes, your only programming language?

    Ever since I learned Python 3-4 years back I have been making an
effort to program more and more in Python.  I attempted to get my work
to switch over to no avail.  Presently I write 95% in Python, 5% in
shell and that 5% in shell is limited to the command-line.  If the tast
is too complex for me to pipe together a few shell utils I fire up vim
and into Python I go.

    Recently I've expanded into coding in wxPython thanks to the
wonderful efforts of the Boa-Constructor team.  First time I've
seriously delved into GUI work and it is, as with other Python projects,
extremely fun to work on.

Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (GNU/Linux)