Python's biggest compromises

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon Aug 4 06:01:44 EDT 2003

Andy C wrote:

> OK, then unless I'm missing something, tabs vs. spaces shouldn't matter
> for
> you.  The editor should be able to handle tabs in a satisfactory manner as
> well.

There seems to be an unspoken assumption here that an editor is the only
program that will need to deal with Python code I receive.  It isn't --
mail and news readers, for example, are often involved -- and those often
can't deal satisfactorily with tabs.  Thus, it should be the job of the
editor of the person who PRODUCES code (if said code is to be sent outside
at all) to store spaces, not tabs.

Alex