Problem installing Python 2.2/2.3 on Windows 98 SE

Rami A. Kishek ramiak2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 00:55:32 EDT 2003

Please help!  Very strange installation problem.

First, let me say I successfully installed and use Python 2.2.3 and 2.3
from the EXE binaries on a win ME machine.  That machine previously had
1.5.2, and now I have access to all 3 versions.   When I tried to do the
same on an older machine, however, running Win98 SE (and having had
Python 1.5.2 previously installed there), the installation doesn't work:

Obvious problems:
  * IDLE doesn't start at all
  * Pythonwin starts, but dumps some warning virtually with every line.
The long message below is an example of what shows up on startup.
  * The python win32 ext install differed from that of 2.2 in one
respect: it complained about being unable to register the key of some
Scripting thing.  I compared the registry entries for this python and
the pythons on the good (WinME machine), and there's no difference.
(However, the MODULES key in Python 2.2 and 2.3 on both machines has no
subkeys, whereas 1.5.2 has several).

Anyways, I am perplexed, I see no reason why the installation from the
same exe binaries should work on one machine but not the other.  The Win
ME machine suffers from none of the problems above.  The only difference
I can think of, of remote likelihood, is that the existing Python 1.5.2
on the failed machine was in C:\Program Files\Python, and I tried
installing Python 2.x in respective directories on D:\Programs.  In the
good machine, all are installed on D:\Programs.

-----------------
D:\PROGRAMS\PYTHON22\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\winout.py:455:
DeprecationWarning: strop functions are obsolete; use string methods
  self.currentView.dowrite(string.join(items,''))
PythonWin 2.2.3 (#42, May 30 2003, 18:12:08) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32.
D:\PROGRAMS\PYTHON22\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\winout.py:465:
DeprecationWarning: strop functions are obsolete; use string methods
  pos = string.rfind(message, '\n')
Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammond (mhammond at skippinet.com.au) -
see 'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.
>>> D:\PROGRAMS\PYTHON22\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\scintilla\IDLEenviro
nment.py:207: DeprecationWarning: strop functions are obsolete; use
string meth
ods
  if string.find(base,".")>0:
D:\PROGRAMS\PYTHON22\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\intpyapp.py:27
3:
DeprecationWarning: strop functions are obsolete; use string methods
  modules = string.splitfields(moduleNames,",")