Is Python your only programming language?

Markus Jais mjais at web.de
Tue Aug 12 02:37:27 EDT 2003

Joe Cheng wrote:

> I'm curious about something... many Artima.com members who have a Java
> background and learned Python have come to the conclusion that Java and
> Python are highly complimentary languages.  They would never consider
> filling the place Java has in their toolbox with Python, but recognize
> there are many tasks where it really pays to add Python to the mix.
>
> I want to ask you hard-core c.l.p Pythonistas: Do you use Python for
> everything?  (and I'm counting Python + C extensions as just Python)  Or
> do
> you keep another language equally close at hand, and if so, what is it?
> And finally, do you foresee a day when Python can be, for all practical
> intents and purposes, your only programming language?

at work I use mainly java and C.

at home when I programm for myself I normally use Python or Ruby.
it depends on the libraries available. I like both and use both.

I rarely use C or Java at home because with Python or Ruby I am much faster
in developing a solution. and I never use C++ at home.

and sometimes I play with PHP and Perl. just for fun.

Markus