How do I get a reference to a KEY value of a dictionary?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Aug 2 01:10:16 EDT 2003

In article <645db655.0307311636.71923378 at posting.google.com>,
Andy C <andychup at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Basically I want to create a graph with an adjacency list
>representation, but I don't want any of the adjacency lists to have
>duplicate strings when it is avoidable.  I have a function createEdge
>that adds an edge to the graph.  The arguments will be distinct since
>they are read from text files.  But basically I want to use the
>dictionary as a string pool, and if the argument string equals
>something in the pool already, don't use the argument string, just a
>use a reference to something in the string pool already.

That makes some sense, but why use the string object for both key and
value?  Just do

    d[key] = True

You could optimize your coding style (if not your speed) in Python 2.3
by using sets.  I'd recommend against using intern(), because in Python
2.2 and earlier, interned strings *never* get garbage collected.  Even
in Python 2.3, you may end up with worse memory behavior.

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz