visual indentation

Hilbert Hilbert at panka.com
Fri Aug 22 14:10:32 EDT 2003

Hello,

I'm using python to output RIB streams for Renderman.
The RIB stream is a bunch of statements which describes
a 3d image. The Rib standard allows for blocks which we
usually indent for better visualization for example:

WorldBegin
    Color [1 1 1]
    Surface "constant"
    Sphere(1.0, -1.0, 1.0, 360)
WorldEnd

I'm using CGKit in python which has a Renderman binding,
so to output the same RIB I'd write:

RiWorldBegin()
    RiColor(1.0,1.0,1.0)
    RiSurface('constant')
    RiSphere(1.0,-1.0,1.0,360)
RiWorldEnd()

But I get an error, because python interprets my indentation
as a block in the python code. So the only way to write this
is without the indentation:

RiWorldBegin()
RiColor(1.0,1.0,1.0)
RiSurface('constant')
RiSphere(1.0,-1.0,1.0,360)
RiWorldEnd()

But this is a lot harder to read.

Is there any way to use such "visual" indentation in python?

Thanks,
Hilbert

hilbert at panka.com