configure: WARNING: term.h: present but cannot be compiled

Joshua S. nws088 at bco.com
Thu Aug 21 12:58:27 EDT 2003

I am trying to install python-2.3 on my AIX 5.1.0.0 box. Everytime I
try to run the configure script I ge the following error.
./configure --without-cxx --with-gcc --disable-ipv6
checking term.h usability... no
checking term.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: term.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: term.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: term.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
checking for term.h... yes

When I look in config.log I see a whole bunch of different errors:

conftest.c:2: parse error before `me'
configure:2405: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#ifndef __cplusplus
  choke me
#endif

configure:2582: gcc -E  conftest.c
configure:2578: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
configure:2588: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 2577 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <ac_nonexistent.h>
configure:2625: result: gcc -E
configure:2640: gcc -E  conftest.c
configure:2646: $? = 0
configure:2673: gcc -E  conftest.c
configure:2669: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
configure:2679: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 2668 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <ac_nonexistent.h>

configure:2898: checking for stdint.h
configure:2911: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
configure:2939: stdint.h: No such file or directory
configure:2914: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 2903 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <stdio.h>
#if HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H
# include <sys/types.h>
#endif
#if HAVE_SYS_STAT_H
# include <sys/stat.h>
#endif
#if STDC_HEADERS
# include <stdlib.h>
# include <stddef.h>
#else
# if HAVE_STDLIB_H
#  include <stdlib.h>
# endif
#endif
#if HAVE_STRING_H
# if !STDC_HEADERS && HAVE_MEMORY_H
#  include <memory.h>
# endif
# include <string.h>
#endif
#if HAVE_STRINGS_H
# include <strings.h>
#endif
#if HAVE_INTTYPES_H
# include <inttypes.h>
#else
# if HAVE_STDINT_H
#  include <stdint.h>
# endif
#endif
#if HAVE_UNISTD_H
# include <unistd.h>
#endif

#include <stdint.h>

There are many more all following the same formats, but I am totally
at a loss.  When I try the make command it fails after a couple of
minutes so I am guessing that the term.h file not compiling is causing
complications.  If anyone could point me in the right direction I
would be very greatful!  --Josh