NetServerDiskEnum in win32net

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 04:52:46 EDT 2003

Uwe Becher <ubecher at gmx.net> wrote in message news:<bilh88$rs3$03$1 at news.t-online.com>...
> I try to get all logical drives of a remote machine (WinNT or W2K) and
> get a result, that gives me the expected total but not all expected drives.
>
> Example:
>
>  >>> win32net.NetServerDiskEnum('nor1w020', 0) gives me:
> ([u'A:', u'', u'C:', u'', u'D:', u'', u'E:', u''], 8, 0)
>
> while the machine has the local drives
> A: C: D: E: F: G: H: Z:
> A: - Floppy
> Z: - CDROM
> All others are harddisk partitions on two physical drives
>
> Does anyone have an idea?
>
> Thanks
> Uwe

I had the same problem, and to my shame I didn't raise it as a bug, I
simply bypassed it (because my DBA needed the info immediately anyway)
by using wmi. Have a look at
http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi.html and then try something
like this:

<code>

import wmi
c = wmi.WMI ("") # or whatever host name

for disk in c.Win32_LogicalDisk (DriveType=3):
  print disk.Caption

</code>

TJG