Adobe photoshop plug in

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Wed Aug 20 14:20:16 EDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:49:44 GMT, "Raymond Hettinger" <vze4rx4y at verizon.net> wrote:

>[mustafa umut sarac]
>> I am not a programmer.
>> But I have a great plug in idea for photoshop.
>> I want to complete the entire process bymyself with the help of friends.
>> I want to ask that : is python language only or simplest language for to write
>this plug in ?
>> Do I need to read the entire photoshop code for to write the plug in ?
>
>In general, writing photoshop plugins is not a project for a beginner
>programmer.
>However, if your idea can be expressed in terms of existing photoshop actions,
>then Python is an excellent choice for a scripting language.  For that, you need
>download win32all (see the link to it at www.python.org/2.3/ ) and then look at
>Adobe's scripting guide at http://partners.adobe.com/asn/photoshop/scripting.jsp
>.
>
>If you need a real plugin, then life is more complicated.  To write photoshop
>plugins in any language, I think you need to have Adobe's plugin SDK which
>runs about $200.  It was not designed for beginning programmers.
I wonder why they charge for that (assuming you're right). ISTM if someone downloaded
a copy and did nothing, it would be no loss. If OTOH they put in the hours to produce
a desirable plugin, there would be at least a slight gain in PS marketability from the
existence of the plugin. IWT selling PS is 'way more important to Adobe's revenues
than selling the SDK. So is the SDK revenue worth the loss of the activity that would
happen if it were free? I guess they must think so.

To me it seems like a video card mfg selling device driver info.

Regards,
Bengt Richter