Is there some Python + IDE/RAD for real speed development???

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Wed Aug 6 14:15:35 EDT 2003

The following wiki page is relevant.

  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/GuiProgramming

You've already received some comments on Qt and GTK toolkits, so I won't go
into those. For wxPython, you should look at Boa, wxGlade, and wxDesigner.
Boa is modeled after Delphi, so that might seem the most familiar to you.

  http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/

  http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/

  http://www.roebling.de/

You can use them just for doing layouts or you can have them generate source
code too.

<shameless plug>
In terms of lines of code in your finished script, PythonCard probably wins
because it is a wrapper around wxPython designed to hide many of the
complexities inherent in setting up frames, controls, and binding events
that you normally have to do. The code for doing all the setup is in the
framework, not in the code you write. PythonCard uses separate source
modules and layout files and auto-binds events, so your source will just be
event handlers and program logic. This is similar to what you would be used
to seeing if you used Visual Basic.

  http://www.pythoncard.org/

There is even a tool in progress to convert VB to PythonCard (and later
other GUI toolkits) called vb2py

  http://vb2py.sourceforge.net/

There are a lot of samples and tools for you to look at so you can see if
PythonCard is good enough for what you want.

  http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/samples/samples.html

Between it and one of the wxPython tools above you should get close to what
you're looking for. PythonCard is still in flux (which is why it is labeled
as alpha) and it doesn't give you all of the capabilities of the other
wxPython tools so you might be more comfortable with Boa...
</shameless plug>

Finally, GUI frameworks and environments are a very active area for Python
development and the tools are maturing relatively quickly. You can help
influence the design and feature set of some of them, but if you don't find
exactly what you're looking for today, check back again in six months or so.

ka

"Edilmar" <edilmar at intersite.com.br> wrote in message
news:96fda9ac.0308060611.56dfca7e at posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> First of all, I'm new in Python...
>
> I have worked with manu langs and IDEs, like Delphi, VB, JBuilder,
Eclipse,