Is there some Python + IDE/RAD for real speed development???

David M. Cook davecook at nowhere.net
Wed Aug 6 11:17:15 EDT 2003

In article <96fda9ac.0308060611.56dfca7e at posting.google.com>, Edilmar wrote:

> I look at wxPython and PyGTK, but the samples showed that we have to write
> MANY LINES of code to do simple things. Many people have wrote about the
> advantage of Python to write little code, but, when talking about GUIs,
> I think it's not really true, right?

The samples are probably showing how to do things "by hand", and aren't
taking advantage of the available tools.  That's appropriate for an honest
sample.

Have you tried glade and libglade?  Glade does have limitations and
annoyances, but I find this a pretty powerful combination.

I don't know much about wxpython, but you should probably check out
boa-constructor.

BTW, PyGTK is essentially just a toolkit, not an application framework, so
it is missing some things that people expect from an app framework.
gnome-python does have more, but at the cost of considerably more
dependencies.

There's also PyQT and qtdesigner.

Dave Cook