python-2.3 Checksum Error

Sanjiv Kumar sanjiv at leopardlogic.com
Thu Aug 7 14:59:40 EDT 2003

Hi All,

I need to install python-2.3 on solaris machine using gcc version 2.95.2 . I dowloaded the file "Python-2.3.tgz" file from www.python.org . This tar file gives checksum error during untar. Here are the steps I have followed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
% gunzip Python-2.3.tgz
% tar xvf Python-2.3.tar
                                      :
                                      :
x Python-2.3/Mac/OSXResources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/doc/index.html, 882 bytes, 2 tape blocks
x Python-2.3/Mac/OSXResources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/ide, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
x Python-2.3/Mac/OSXResources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/ide/index.html, 9909 bytes, 20 tape blocks
x Python-2.3/Mac/OSXResources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/ide/IDE.gif, 10249 bytes, 21 tape blocks
tar: directory checksum error

I tried to download same version of python from both ftp and http site. But problem persist. Here are few question.

#1 Where can I find the Python-2.3.tgz without above problem?
#2 Could i install version 2.3 using my gcc compiler (version 2.95.2) ? I remember that I tired in past to build another version
     of python and it use to give segmentation fault during "running build_extension". Did anyone try to build python-2.3 with
     gcc version 2.95.2.

I would really appreciate your response as earliest.

Best Regards,
=Sanjiv=