displaying video in a tkinter GUI

Jim Easterbrook jim.easterbrook at rd.bbc.co.uk
Fri Aug 22 04:38:19 EDT 2003

In article <slrnbk37pp.mhu.mnh at panix3.panix.com>, Mark Hertel <mnh at cogitation.org> wrote:

>Is it possible to embed a video player on a tkinter frame? I'm
>looking to create something that displays the video and its
>associated controls in the upper right quandrant while the other
>screen quandrants are used for user input.
>
>It would be great if the solution was cross platform (windows/linux)
>but the initial target would be winXP/2K.

For a Windows only solution, I've used DirectShow via Mark Hammond's
win32com extension, and more recently via Thomas Heller's ctypes COM
framework. I've been working at a lower level than a complete player
(I've been building DirectShow filter graphs and using tkinter buttons
for "play", "pause" etc.) but I expect you could embed a full Windows
Media Player.
--
Jim Easterbrook
BBC Research & Development               <http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/>