Celebrity advice

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Wed Aug 27 12:11:17 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:
> Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>>(I think it safe to say that during the 20th century, 99% of the 100s of
>>millions of murders were committed by armed govern-men rather than by
>>private persons acting alone.)
>
> It may be safe to say it, but is it true, or merely hyperbole?
>
> Were there "100s of millions of murders" in the 20th century, assuming
> commonplace definitions of "murder" (killing humans), "million"
> (10 to the 6th power), and "20th century" (period beginning roughly
> January 1, 1900 and ending on or one year before December 31, 2000)?
>
> That's a lot of people getting themselves killed, whatever the cause...

Here's a page with exactly this topic:
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat1.htm

I seem to remember that during World War II alone 50 million people died
because of the war. Not necessarily with weapons, because for example
the Germans invented more efficient ways of mass murder :-( And that
number probably includes indirect deaths caused by famine, etc.

-- Gerhard