howto format currency string?

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Fri Aug 29 09:38:06 EDT 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:

> 'en_US.ISO8859-1'

Python 2.3 (#1, Jul 30 2003, 11:19:43)
[GCC 3.2] on linux2
>>> import locale
>>> locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, ('de', None))
'de_DE.ISO8859-1'

It works :-)
And I always trusted the documentation/error message:

>>> locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, 'de')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "locale.py", line 381, in setlocale
    return _setlocale(category, locale)
locale.Error: locale setting not supported

The second (not working) variant is taken directly from the documentation.
The error message led me to assume that my version of Python didn't support
locale setting at all.

Maybe I should file a bug report?

Peter