What's better about Ruby than Python?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu Aug 21 02:13:26 EDT 2003

Andrew Dalke wrote:
> be that way.  It's the inability to get into another's shoes -
> to understand view different than one's own - which annoys
> me the most.  A deficiency sadly typical of all too many
> enthusiastic new language designers.

Just as prevalent is the wish to please EVERYone -- that's
how one gets, say, PL/I, or perl... by NOT deliberately refusing
to "get into other's shoes" and rejecting their "different views"
for purposes of inclusion into the new language.  Even GvR
historically did some of that, leading to what are now his mild
regrets (lambda, map, filter, ...).

Alex