Brandon's abrasive style (was Re: What's better about Ruby than Python?)

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Tue Aug 19 03:55:27 EDT 2003

Dave Harrison wrote:
>> I ask tough questions about Python vs. other languages and platforms.
>
> Quite frankly most people of your ilk have a tendency to winge and
> complain about "missing features" or "bad design" but do nothing to
> contribute to the language.  I fail to see why this puts you in any
> position to ask the "tough questions" as you put it.  If you see
> something you consider to be a weakness, suggest a solution, don't
> winge about the fact that it exists.

Well, I can certainly put up or shut up about *that* !

http://pythonology.com/pipermail/marketing-python/
http://www.3dprogrammer.com/Python_Logo_Draft.JPG
http://www.3dprogrammer.com/French_Python.JPG

Warning, last 2 are 754K and 461K, and you'll probably need to scroll.

I get tired of people who lack imagination, who think they know everything
about why so-and-so asks such-and-such a question, or speaks in
this-and-that a way.  Who never exercise their imaginations,  who don't try
to see from someone else's perspective.  What do you really do, yourself, to
address the problems?  And seeing these photos above, are you going to
falsely conclude that I care about Python?  I don't.  Not yet, at any rate.
This is a trial period.

>> - You have to promote your language, grow its market share, to
>> prevent that from happening.
>
> Who cares ?  If you want to go stick up posters for Python go for it.

That's why I spend my time working with the marketing-python crowd and not
your ilk.  As far as I'm concerned, you are the enemy of progress.  Because
progress requires relevance.  "What language will be relevant 10 years from
now?"  That is my agenda.

> You certainly appear like a troll, so how about a few suggested
> solutions to these so called problems you raised ?

Your wish is my command, Grasshopper.  Now, what should I ask of you in
return?  I know: nothing.  You will either see or you will not see.

20% of the world is real.