Is Python your only programming language?

Doug Tolton dtolton at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 03:22:13 EDT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 05:44:45 GMT, "Joe Cheng" <code at joecheng.com>
wrote:

>I'm curious about something... many Artima.com members who have a Java
>background and learned Python have come to the conclusion that Java and
>Python are highly complimentary languages.  They would never consider
>filling the place Java has in their toolbox with Python, but recognize there
>are many tasks where it really pays to add Python to the mix.
>
>I want to ask you hard-core c.l.p Pythonistas: Do you use Python for
>everything?  (and I'm counting Python + C extensions as just Python)  Or do
>you keep another language equally close at hand, and if so, what is it?  And
>finally, do you foresee a day when Python can be, for all practical intents
>and purposes, your only programming language?

I know Java, C, C#, C++, Visual Basic, Python, Asp and now I'm getting
into Lisp and Scheme.  I'm familiar with quite a few others, but these
are the ones I'm most comfortable with.

I write 90% of my code in python, maybe even 95%.  I used to write
everything in C#, but I found that most of the time I was writing a
form that had buttons to push and a rich text box for output (at least
at my current position).

When we have to deploy an app with an ide we'll use either VB or C#,
and put the guts in python com classes which are called from the ide.
Python has great COM integration (much better than either C# or VB
incidentally), so it makes it really easy.

I do see a day when all my programming could be done in python
(although more likely it will all be done in Lisp).  There are a few
things that need I need to learn how to do, but ultimately I believe
all the major pieces are in place.

- I need to learn wxPython or one of the variants on building good
cross platform guis better.
- I need to learn how to deploy apps to end users better
- I need to learn one of the web based python systems.

You'll note, these are all centered around technologies I need to
learn better, not techonlogies that need to be done still.

As for an IDE, I already have one, it's call Emacs.
Debugger, I just use pdb (althouh I wish it had, or I knew how to do
Edit and Continue)