What's better about Ruby than Python?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Aug 18 23:17:12 CEST 2003

"Roberto Amorim" <wolfoxbr at hotmail.com> writes:

> > 6. The way Ruby handles parameterless functions as if they were
> > properties.
>
> That's the thing I like most about Ruby. But I couldn't get past its
[...]

Appeals to me too, but, when it comes right down to it, the only
reason I'm using Python and not Perl is that it has a really
significant reduction in baggage.  There just is no such difference
between Python and Ruby, according to everything I've heard people put
forward here as 'significant'.  Python has more users.  Nothing more
to be said, as far as I'm concerned.

I really wish I could say more for Ruby, as I'd very much like to
sound less like a closed-minded programming language-monoglot.

In my defence, like lots of people here I'm eager to learn Haskell and
O'Caml, not to mention a bunch of others -- if only Python didn't do
almost everything so well, there'd be more motivation...

John