What's better about Ruby than Python?

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Tue Aug 19 10:20:30 EDT 2003

Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> writes:

> Here's a real-life example of how macros change the language.  Some C++
> code that I'm working with now, has a debug macro that is used like this:
>
>    DEBUG (cout << "I'm a debug statement\n";)

> The problem is, emacs doesn't know what to do with the code above.

If you think that's a problem ... I have recently seen some code where
a DEBUG macro trampled all over an enum containing a DEBUG value. I'm
not too worried about Emacs not knowing what to do with the code, but
I get rather more upset when the compiler doesn't know what to do with
the code :-)

But this is all slightly off-topic. I don't think this part of the
thread is about C-style macros (which are fundamentally flawed and
useless <0.0001 wink>, and very boring), but Lisp-style macros, which
are are to C-style macros what Emacs is to cat.