Python installation with a custom module search path

Igor V. Rafienko igorr at ifi.uio.no
Sat Aug 9 11:33:35 EDT 2003

Hi,

I am trying to install python 2.3 and I have trouble understanding how
I can make the installation look for its libraries in certain
directories.

Specifically, we are using epkg, thus having two directory trees --
one where the installation resides (/a/b/c/python-2.3) and one where
the symlinks to various installations are (/a/bin, /a/lib, /a/man,
etc. E.g. /a/bin/python would be a symlink pointing to
/a/b/c/python-2.3/bin/python). I would like python to look under
/a/lib/python-2.3/site-packages (which would contain links to many
third-party packages), but I cannot understand how I can hardwire this
during the compilation stage.

I have fiddled a bit with getpath.c (PYTHONPATH macro), but alas, to
no avail. I would appreciate any ideas.

TIA,

ivr