Problem with Unzipping/Installing Python-2.3.exe

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Fri Aug 1 18:43:05 EDT 2003

On 1 Aug 2003 15:06:20 -0700, sjmachin at lexicon.net (John Machin) wrote:

>John Latter <jorolat at msn.com> wrote in message news:<kjokivg3ptek5v2ueurba8k8c57vajm00l at 4ax.com>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I downloaded Python-2.3.exe but when I used winzip it kept asking me
>> if I wanted to replace old files with new ones, and in some instances,
>> new files with old ones.
>>
>> I've never downloaded/installed Python before, and as something of a
>> computer novice, would like to know what I may be doing wrong!
>>
>> This is the link I downloaded from:
>>
>> >Windows users should download the Windows installer, Python-2.3.exe
>> >, run it and follow the friendly instructions on the screen to complete
>> >the installation.
>
>Faced with the 4 clues in the above sentence:
>
>(1) "installer"
>(2) ".exe"
>(3) "run it"
>(4) complete absence of any mention of ".zip", "unzip", "Winzip", ...,
>
>my expectation would be that one should run the damn thing, not try to
>unzip it.
>
>Do you feel that the instructions were unclear? Do you have any
>suggestions on how they might be improved?

I guess for those who are rightfully afraid of any .exe's downloaded from the net,
a parenthetic reassuring mention in the same paragraph that the MD5 digests and file
sizes are displayed further down the page might be a small improvement. Then all you
have to do is trust the folks that created installer and the files and web page ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter