What's better about Ruby than Python?

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Thu Aug 21 17:58:46 EDT 2003

Andrew Dalke wrote:
> Maybe.  But look for previous posts of mine on c.l.py to see that
> my previous attempts at learning Lisp have met dead ends.  I know
> how it's supposed to work, but haven't been able to convert what
> I see on a page into something in my head.

It's funny you say that. Someone is dropping by shortly to help me get
up to speed on Linux, and I am helping him with Lisp. But the last email
from him said he had been reading Winston&Horn since my talk on Sunday
(which apparently got him off the same "don't-get-it" square you're on)
and he now says he has no idea why he did not get it before.

I wonder if the (funny (syntax)) makes people think there is more there
than there is. Even in C I code functionally:

     this( that( x), then (y))

so I do not think it is the functional thang.

> BTW, I'm afraid I'm about at the end of my limits for this thread.
> I'll only be able to do small followups.

OK. I might be tossing off a fun demo of my C? jobbies for my talk at
the upcoming Lisp conference in New York:

    http://www.international-lisp-conference.org/

Maybe I'll preview it here. That might help us understand each other
better it.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc