String Replacement

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Fri Aug 1 18:23:43 EDT 2003

On 1 Aug 2003 15:00:47 -0700, faizan at jaredweb.com (Fazer) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>As some of you might know, I am new to Python.  I was finally
>successful in using MySQLdb for Python to query the datbase and get a
>few results from the query.
>
>The results will be displayed as HTML and I am sort of confuse din
>using the string modules and its functions/modules to replace the \n
>with <br>.  I import the string module and I am not soo sure on how to
>do the replacing.
>
>Here's how my code sort of likes:
>
>import string
 print repr(DataFromDatabase) # do this to check what you are operating on
>string.replace(DataFromDatabase, "\n", "<br>")
 print repr(string.replace(DataFromDatabase, "\n", "<br>")) # to see result

 >>> import string
 >>> help(string.replace)
 Help on function replace in module string:

 replace(s, old, new, maxsplit=-1)
     replace (str, old, new[, maxsplit]) -> string

     Return a copy of string str with all occurrences of substring
     old replaced by new. If the optional argument maxsplit is
     given, only the first maxsplit occurrences are replaced.

>>Unfortunately, it doesn't work.
You are throwing away the result ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter