Decoding MIME email.

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Mon Aug 25 19:40:07 EDT 2003

Thomas Williams wrote:
> Hello everyone, my name is Tom W. And, I am new to the
> list, and have been using Python for about a year now.
>
> Anyway, I got a question! I am trying to decode MIME
> (base64) email from a POP3 server, but all I get is a
> corrupt file. [...]

You should be using the email module for this. Here are a few
interactive commands that could get you started:

 >>> from email.Parser import Parser
 >>> f = file("/tmp/mail.txt")
 >>> parser = Parser()
 >>> msg = parser.parse(f)
 >>> f.close()
 >>> msg
<email.Message.Message instance at 0x8195e34>

You probably can figure out the rest with the documentation for the
email module, otherwise just ask here.

Oh, and if your Python doesn't have an email module, it's really time to
upgrade :)

-- Gerhard