Python should try to displace Java

A.M. Kuchling amk at
Wed Aug 20 19:54:34 CEST 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:00:13 GMT,
	Alex Martelli <aleax at> wrote:
> "happen" to be excellent for the job.  Not just my opinion -- e.g.,
> Mitch Kapor and his OSAF chose Python as the application-programming
> language for the Chandler system, and if you look at the specs for
> that ambitious undertaking you'll see it WILL be quite a large-scale
> system when it matures.

I don't find OSAF's choice of Python to be much of an endorsement.
Given that most of the principals involved didn't seem to actually
know Python at the time of the initial announcement, I can only
conclude that they thought choosing Python would give them some
credibility in the open-source community, and not because they did a
careful comparison of Python with the alternatives.