PyQT installation problems

d.w. harks dave at
Wed Aug 20 16:01:25 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 04:54 am, Stelian Iancu wrote:
> Hello all!
> I am trying to install eric3, the Python IDE. I've downloaded and installed
> successfully sip-3.8, QScintilla-1.2 and PyQT-3.8. However, when I try to
> install eric, I get the following error:
> Sorry, please install PyQt.
> I looked into the install script, then I opened a Python window and there I
> tried import qt and I got the following error:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/", line 25, in ?
>     import libqtc
> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/ undefined
> symbol: _ZNK9QSGIStyle9classNameEv
> I am using Mandrake 9.1 with the default Python (2.2.3) and Qt.

I just got PyQt going on Mandrake, and it's a trick.

Best way I found was to go to and grab the .src.rpm's
of PyQt and SIP, edit the .spec files to ensure that you're using the correct
Python version, and build from source (rpm -bb <specfile>).

Another way is to use the packages from, which are a bit older,
but seem to work fine.

d.w. harks <dave at>