Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 24 12:33:24 EDT 2003

On 24 Aug 2003 07:38:49 -0700, mis6 at pitt.edu (Michele Simionato)
wrote:
> I finally came to the conclusion that the exceeding good performance
> of Psyco was due to the fact that the function was called a million
> times with the *same* argument.

Still an interesting thread.

> Here is the situation for pure Python
> user    0m27.162s
> sys     0m0.023s
>
> and, just for fun, here is Jython performance:
> user    0m42.602s
> sys     0m0.389s

Just as a matter of interest what happens if Jython code is
compiled to Java and run under the JVM rather than the Jython
interpreter? Does that increase or decrease the speed.

I've been toying with the idea of moving to Jython but the speed
hit is one factor (of several) that stops me.

Alan G.

Author of the Learn to Program website