sed with python

David Raleigh Arnold darnold4 at
Thu Aug 28 13:30:22 CEST 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:26:36 +0200, U. N. Owen wrote:

> David Raleigh Arnold enlightened us with:
>> How do I use python as a wrapper for sed and/or gawk scripts?
> You don't. Python can do anything sed and awk can, and much, much more.
> Sybren
> That's true, but it may be useful to use existing code (and not bother
> rewriting in Python). You can use shell scripts, pipes, or if you want to
> use only python scripts, use
> os.system to call sed or awk.
> But if you write new functions, Python is enough, as Sybren says

Thanks.  I didn't realize at first that Sybren had not read
the question before replying.  I am using shell scripts, both
very simple ones that call sed and more elaborate ones that
extract fields from a database and do something with them.

Obviously, os.system does me no good at all.  If windows
users had bash I would have no reason to use python to
call it.

Is there an equivalent to "tac" already written as a
function in python?  Is there a matrix transposition
function that automagically adds fields to records so
that all records have the same number of fields, to
guard against data loss?  Where are these found?  DaveA

"We have learned the lessons of Viet Nam." --anon Spokesman
"Failure is not an option." --anon Spokesman
Can both be true? n  Are both false? y  Right answers get my vote.
D. Raleigh Arnold dra@  darnold4 at