Python vs. C#

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Tue Aug 12 21:14:03 EDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:06:20PM -0700, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 02:27:26AM -0700, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> >>
> >> Good to hear that some people understand what it means when
> >> Microsoft puts 100% of the company behind something.  Remember, last
> >> time around we got IE and Netscape vanished.
> >
> > When was that?
> >
> > I'm happily running Mozilla as my web browser, and have been for well
> > over a year now.  I'm hardly alone in this.
> >
> > Sure, Netscape-the-company might be effectively dead,
>
> Why do you bother to contradict me, if you're only going to make my point
> for me?

I forgot to trim the "When was that?" from my original draft of my reply.
The spirit of it remains correct, though -- Netscape Corp. might be dead (I
honestly don't know), but that's irrelevant to me.

> > but I don't care about that.
>
> I bet you don't care about the market share of that software either.
> Basically, most c.l.p people would be happy if they held onto a 1% market
> share as the rest of the world changes.

I do care, but not in "percentage of overall market share" terms.

I care that the open source software I'm using still has a sufficiently
active community supporting it and developing it that I know I can continue
to use it indefinitely, without needing to shop around for an alternative
while it stagnates.  Mozilla (and Python, to drag this back on topic) both
look extremely healthy to me.

I don't particularly care much if other people use IE or C# (except to laugh
at them <wink>).  I'm a happy Mozilla user, and I'm being paid to write
Python, which is my preferred programming language.  The corporations that
are or aren't backing these choices really don't factor into it.

-Andrew.