union in Python

Wiebke Pätzold wiebke.paetzold at mplusr.de
Wed Aug 13 03:51:12 EDT 2003

Hi Andy,

I'm very new in Python and this is why I ask this stupid question.

I create a database that contains a table. 'Themenbereiche'  is one of
13column names. This program can search for
a special letter. In my example it is 'do'. and the search takes place
in 'Themenbereiche'. 'do' takes place within a word. This is solved
with regular expression. So that I can limit my search.
For example: I can search for 'do' and it is not relevant wich letters
follow or wich letters are in front of 'do'.

This is the program that I wrote:

import sys
import Mk4py
import re

db = Mk4py.storage("c:\\datafile.mk",1)
vw = db.view("people")

class PatternFilter:
    def __init__(self, pattern, feld):
        self.feld = feld
        self.pattern = re.compile(pattern)

    def __call__(self, row):
        try:
            exec(self.feld+" = row."+self.feld)
        except AttributeError:
            return 0
        return self.pattern.search(eval(self.feld))is not None

feld = "Themenbereiche"
vf = vw.filter(PatternFilter("do.*", feld))

for r in vf:
    exec("print  vw[r.index]." +feld)

Now I want to change my program that I can look for the same regular
expression in two columns ('Themenbereiche', 'Nachname').
I tied something

>> import sys
>> import Mk4py
>> import re
>>
>> db = Mk4py.storage("c:\\datafile.mk",1)
>> vw = db.view("people")
>>
>> class PatternFilter:
>>     def __init__(self, pattern, feld):
>>         self.feld = feld
>>         self.pattern = re.compile(pattern)
>>
>>     def __call__(self, row):
>>         try:
>>             exec(self.feld+" = row."+self.feld)
>>         except AttributeError:
>>             return 0
>>         return self.pattern.search(eval(self.feld))is not None
>>
>>     def union(feld_th, feld_na):
>>         c = feld_th[:]
>>         for i in range(len(feld_na)):
>>             if feld_na[i] not in feld_th:
>>                 c.append(feld_na[i])
>>         return c
>>
>> feld_th = "Themenbereiche"
>> vf = vw.filter(PatternFilter("do.*", feld_th))
>>
>> feld_na = "Nachname"
>> vf = vw.filter(PatternFilter("im.*", feld_na))
>>
>> print feld_th, feld_na, union(feld_th, feld_na)

But it seems to be worng.
I didn't find verx much material in order to solve the task.
But I tried it.
I don't get the results I except. I get actual traceback error:

>>> Themenbereiche Nachname
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"C:\PROGRA~1\Python22\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptutils.py",
line 310, in RunScript
    exec codeObject in __main__.__dict__
  File
"C:\Programme\Python22\Lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\Demos\Uebung11.py",
line 46, in ?
    print feld_th, feld_na, union(feld_th, feld_na)
NameError: name 'union' is not defined