OT: Celebrity advice (was: Advice to a Junior in High School?)

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Fri Aug 29 03:45:34 EDT 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:
> People who don't want ID
> cards to exist, don't want government DB's to be cross-linked, etc,
> plead much the same case -- they prefer inefficient government (whose
> inefficiencies may help terrorists and other criminals) to efficient
> government (whose efficiency might allow more effective oppression).

This is exactly true. The one extreme is called 'anarchy', the other
is called 'totalitarism' (either Communism or Fascism). It is a political
choice to find a balance. Of course, ID cards don't mean totalitarism,
but extreme government control, or extreme "effective oppression", does.

We don't want a state that controls everything. But we
also don't want a state that controls nothing.

Do I deserve a prize for the best 'open door' statement ;)?

Gerrit.

--
4. If he satisfy the elders to impose a fine of grain or money, he
shall receive the fine that the action produces.