crazy programming language thoughts

Ryan Lowe ryanlowe0 at msn.com
Fri Aug 22 19:05:52 EDT 2003

thanks for all the replies. i think the language i was thinking is lost
amongst the hundreds of languages almost nobody has ever heard of. it doesnt
really matter though, its the ideas that interest me. ive looked into so
many languages recently, one thing is clear, ive only scratched the surface
of different languages...

i did look into some of the ones mentioned, specifically, COBOL and
Applescript. i was more impressed with applescript, because i think you can
expand the language that the interpreter understands (unlike COBOL) with
some sort of 'dictionary,' though  its a little hard to say at first glance,
given the new-programmer-targeted documentation. it seemed a little wordy,
like writing a sentence just to make an assignment when there is a perfectly
good = sign for that :)

"Paul D. Fernhout" <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote in message
news:3f457487_7 at corp.newsgroups.com...

> You may be thinking of Smalltalk.
>    http://www.smalltalk.org/
> although there are other languages with related phrasing (like in
> HyperCard? and even COBOL?).
>
> The Python code:
>
>    x = sin(10) + 50 * 20 * self.myfunctionXY(cos(30), 40)
>
> would be in Smalltalk something like:
>
>    x := 10 sin + (50 * 20 * self myfunctionX: 30 cos y: 40).

i didnt look at smalltalk. stuff like this example turns me off a bit. why
put the sin and cos AFTER the operand? ill try to look into it at some
point, though. i have heard good things about it.