event binding and component.config

Scott Holmes scottholmes at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 18 19:17:38 EDT 2003

Jeff Epler wrote:

> Finally, you don't explain exactly why you want this behavior,
> and I'm not familiar with any common programs that do this (though the
> behavior you're describing sounds a little bit like a Tk checkbutton
> with indicatoron=0).  You should always ask yourself if departing from
> standard behavior of the OS and other applications is worth it, given
> that the results are likely to confuse users.
>
> Jeff

Actually, my motivation for this is purely cosmetic.  Also, I'm am still
trying to determine "best practices" for python coding.  My GUI has,
among other buttons, Add and Update and Commit.  This is following long
practice going back to the Informix 4GL code my project is based on.  I
would like it to be apparent to the user what "mode" they are in be it
Add or Update.  It's possible that I will abandon button relief in favor
of a screen label.  An example:  activating the Add button sets a flag
and clears the input screen.  After inputing field values, the user will
activate the Commit button.  This will commit values to the database.

Your explanation is very helpful, indeed.  I rather expected something
like that.  I have had little time, so far, to explore the internals as
I am in a desperate race to port this project to a useable interface.
If this project proves feasible I would eventually like to release it to
the community at large.

Scott Holmes                   http://sholmes.ws
                                http://pages.sbcglobal.net/scottholmes
                                scottholmes at sbcglobal.net

   Independent Programmer/Analyst                  Passport 4GL
   PHP HTML Composer                PostgreSQL     Informix 4GL, SQL
       There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
              than are dreamt of in your philosophy