Celebrity advice (was: Advice to a Junior in High School?)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Aug 27 13:44:14 EDT 2003

Andrew Dalke wrote:

> Peter Hansen
> > Were there "100s of millions of murders" in the 20th century, assuming
> > commonplace definitions of "murder" (killing humans), "million"
> > (10 to the 6th power), and "20th century" (period beginning roughly
> > January 1, 1900 and ending on or one year before December 31, 2000)?
> >
> > That's a lot of people getting themselves killed, whatever the cause...
>
> I think Terry means deaths related to war, genocide, and various
> internal purges.  Here's one source
> http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/atrox.htm
> which totals 155 million.
>
> Not all were deaths from arms.  Bombs, knives, disease, famine all
> played a role.

I figured it was that.  I wasn't questioning the type of killing that
should be called "murder", but the "100s of millions" thing, which evokes
an image of something like a billion people (a mere 10 "100s of millions").

155 million total, while perhaps mind-numbingly high still, is not
really in the "100s of millions" according to the usual interpretation
of such a phrase.

Just wondering... thanks for the links, everyone.

-Peter