Python's biggest compromises

Syver Enstad syver-en+usenet at online.no
Wed Aug 6 16:17:06 EDT 2003

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:

> (Yes, there are issues with Python on SMP machines, but to call
> Python's built-in threading "non-existent SMP scalability" is either
> a lie or revelatory of near-complete ignorance.  That doesn't even
> count the various IPC mechanisms.)

It's an interesting subject though. How does python threading on SMP
machines compare with f.ex. Java and C++. I know that at least the
MSVC compiler has a GIL like problem with heap access (new, malloc,
delete, free), which is guarded with a global lock.

Would migrating the global data for a thread to some sort of thread
local storage help Python SMP performance? If Java has better
threading performance than Python how have they solved the interpreter
state problem. Java is interpreted isn't it?
--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad