OT: Celebrity advice

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Thu Aug 28 02:17:36 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote previously:
|No, you're not taking the word "ultimately" far enough.  First the
|state tries to get painful on your ass, so you resist.  Then they get
|really violent, and still you resist.

Just as a question of biology, a person can be locked in handcuffs, or
in a metal cage, and be neither dead nor have the power to kill others.
This limit comes not out of the compromise and will-power of the
detained person, but simply out of physics and anatomy.  In most
"ultimate" cases of state-sponsored violence, this is what happens...
not someone being killed.

Someone upthread recommended Foucault...  I strongly second reading his
looks at "technologies of control."

Yours, Lulu...

--
mertz@  | The specter of free information is haunting the `Net!  All the
gnosis  | powers of IP- and crypto-tyranny have entered into an unholy