Path Problem on W2K?

logistix at logistix at
Tue Aug 19 04:56:58 CEST 2003

"Dennis Reinhardt" <DennisR at> wrote in message news:<96S%a.2489$k_7.1163 at>...
> > I generally avoid installing in
> c:\Program<abominable_space>Files\anything.
> c:\progra~1\anything
> is a non-space way of specifying the same path.

I hope I don't come off as a know-it-all jerk, but 8.3 filenames are
considered legacy in NT/2000/XP.  There is a registry hack that will
disable them and is commonly recommended in security lockdown and
performance tuning documents for Windows.

That being said, it's fine to use progr~1 on your personal computer, I
just wouldn't count on it working for all Windows installs if you're
writing something that you intend to distribute.