Celebrity advice

Cliff Wells clifford.wells at comcast.net
Fri Aug 29 05:50:27 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 15:07, Arthur wrote:

> We all knew this kind of discussion would lead to no good.  Even to my own
> eventual involvment. But the rule I had set to myself, would be to comment
> only upon Lulu's comment, and only if that comment was something other than
> to the effect that one's politics might be irrelevent here, and that the
> advice to a new programmer to eschew Raymond because of his was .. bad
> advice.

I'd have to agree with Art on this.  ESR's thoughts on guns have little
to do with programming, and unless he likes to use "nra" or "bullet" as
metavariables, his politics would best be omitted from the discussion.
Had Hitler (note end of thread) rather than Einstein written
_Relativity_ would we expect physicists to ignore it because of his
politics?  I certainly hope not.
The fact that I think Charlton Heston is a buffoon shouldn't be the
reason I think his movies suck.

Regards,
Cliff

--
Pushing the stone up the hill of failure
                                 -Swans