getopt issues

David Bear iddwb at asu.edu
Thu Aug 28 13:24:48 EDT 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Steven Taschuk wrote:

> > specified in options, rather than have it through an exception and return
> > nothing?
>
> I don't think so.  This is an unusual request -- normally it is
> desirable for a program to insist on correct usage, rather than

good points.  yet, my purpose is to write a filter.  the problem being
that with different lpr implementations you don't know exactly what
parameters will be passed since lpr is not really standardize (at least
thats my understanding). I'm just interested in two parameters out of
possibly many.

Still, I think getopt is rather weak.  It would be better if I could build
a dictionary of options that I wanted, then when parsing the args, just
fill in my dictionary values from args that I want.