Unification of logging in Python's Standard Library

Matthew Barnes matthew at barnes.net
Tue Aug 19 02:17:06 EDT 2003

With the inclusion of the new 'logging' module in Python 2.3, I'm
wondering whether there are plans to update the rest of the Standard
Library to use this module wherever there is logging to be done.  I
can think of a few Standard Library modules off the top of my head
that currently "roll their own" logging system:

asyncore.py
BaseHTTPServer.py
cgi.py
doctest.py
imaplib.py
unittest.py

A single, unified logging system across the entire Python Standard
Library would be a worthy goal for some future release (Python 3000,
or maybe even 2.4/2.5?).