how fast is Python?

Alan Kennedy alanmk at
Fri Aug 29 16:31:17 CEST 2003

[Steve Horsley]
>> Have you heard of Jython - python language running on a java VM?
>> It's kind of double interpreted - the python source is converted
>> to JVM bytecode, and then the JVM runs it however that JVM runs
>> bytecode. I guess it should be many times faster than python
>> because of the JVM performance, and wopuld be interested to hear
>> any comparisons.

[Lawrence Oluyede]
> Jython faster than Python? We did little test and it doesn't seem, look:

Please bear in mind that the test code included the start up time for
interpreter. For jython, this is a high cost, because starting a JVM
often takes up to 10 seconds or more.

It would probably be fairer to run timings after the VM has already
been through the startup phase. I think that is a more valid
reflection of real-world scenarios where a VM gets started once and
left running for a long time.

alan kennedy
check http headers here:
email alan: