Unable to run IDLE from 2.3?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 15:14:22 EDT 2003

[M Wells]
> I recently downloaded and installed Python 2.3 for Windows (on XP
> professional) and I don't seem to be able to run IDLE from my start
> menu? It seems something happens when I click on it (ie I get an
> hourglass) but no actual application turns up.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this and can anyone give me some advice
> on how to fix it?

In addition to the two possible causes Alex spelled out, another common
problem is some *other* program setting up Tcl or Tk environment variables
pointing to an inappropriate version of Tcl/Tk.  The installer for Ruby is
the most common culprit for this problem, so if you've installed Ruby that's
probably the cause.

To check, open up a DOS box and try this:

C:\Python23>python
Python 2.3 (#46, Jul 29 2003, 09:29:04) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import Tkinter