execute command in CURRENT shell

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Aug 8 22:31:44 CEST 2003

In article <mailman.1060371914.2255.python-list at python.org>, Rich Drewes wrote:

>>>simple question, how to execute command in current shell, not
>>>in subshell?
> execl() will execute a new program in the current process,
> replacing the current process.

Right. However, it still can't do anthing in or to the current
shell, since the current process is already a child of the
"current shell".  IOW, it can't modify the current shell's
environment (the environment of the parent process) which is
what I understood to be the OP's desire.

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My BIOLOGICAL ALARM
                                  at               CLOCK just went off... It
                               visi.com            has noiseless DOZE FUNCTION
                                                   and full kitchen!!