Aspect oriented Everything?

Lothar Scholz llothar at web.de
Sat Aug 23 08:59:27 EDT 2003

> Aspect oriented Software development seems to be expanding in the
> popular vision of developers, with more and more IDE 'add-ons' and
> even more specialized tools,Jboss etc.

I'm not sure if this is a the way to go. I've only seen proof of
concept but no real use. But only in the latter case you can see the
problems.

I don't like it because it breaks encapsulation and splitters the code
over a few files. Maybe that can be solved with new kind of editors
but it is much more easy to result in a big confusion.

The most important use cases that i've seen so far are:

- Logging facilities
- Debugging code
- Pre/Postconditions
- Threading synchronization

1+2+3 can be embedded in a language. This is already done in Eiffel.
I don't know if i really want to see something as difficult as
"threading synchronization" as an aspect.