Style in list comprehensions

Michael Peuser mpeuser at
Fri Aug 15 21:44:28 CEST 2003

"Tim Lesher" <tim at> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:b6562547.0308151116.15dd7591 at
> Suppose I have a list of objects and I want to call a method on each.
> I can do the simple:
> for i in objs:
>     i.meth(arg1, arg2)
> or using list comprehensions:
> [i.meth(arg1, arg2) for i in objs]
> The second feels more Pythonic, but do I incur any overhead for
> creating the list of results when I'm not going to use it?

Why do you think that to be more "pythonic"? To my understanding list
comprehensions have been invented as a more understandable MAP/GREP notation
(for... if...).

If you do not use the results as a list I see little advantage. Of course
there can be a more effecient execution, but the contrary can as well be the
case, and this is probably version dependent.

Why don't you do a benchmark???

Michael P